Thursday, January 25, 2007

Happy Burns Night


Tonight is Burns Night, when Scots the world over (especially the ex-pats) gather to remember our national poet Robert Burns by means of a Burns Supper. I’ve not sure why he’s so famous, but it’s the closest thing we’ve got to a national day and it’s always a good celebration. And he, for better or worse, gave the world Auld Lang Syne.

Me? I’m neither eating haggis nor drinking whisky tonight, but I will be on Saturday when I introduce some Sassenachs and other foreigners to the cultural delights of Scottish cuisine, poetry and alcohol. Like I do every year.

In the meantime, here are some Robert Burns songs. A version of I Love My Jean from Camera Obscura's 2005 single of the same name, and couple of Burns' songs done by Eddi Reader from whole album of his songs she recorded few years ago on Rough Trade - gorgeous renditions of Ae Fond Kiss and My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose (also done by Camera Obscura).

And what I wouldn’t give for a recording of Joanna Newsom doing Ca’ the Yowes to the Knowes like she did so heart-stoppingly beautifully at the Barbican last week! However, I have come across a video her doing it somewhere else. It’s dark and shaky, but the sound is alright. It’ll do for now.

Much more Burns stuff here, for the curious or aficionados.

Download: Camera Obscura - I Love My Jean
Download: Eddi Reader – Ae Fond Kiss
Download: Eddi Reader – My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose

Buy Eddi Reader Sings the Songs of Robert Burns.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic... I wish I had seen that barbican gig.. this is the best version of this song I have heard yet love eddi xxx

The Daily Growl said...

Is this Eddi Reader? Wow if it is! Whoever it is, you're right, it is an amazing song!

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful!